Oxygen Art Centre is an artist-run multidisciplinary centre that provides space and programming for artists and the public to engage in the creation, study, exhibition and performance of contemporary art in all disciplines.
The goals of Oxygen Art Centre are to stimulate the creation, exhibition and discussion of contemporary art in all disciplines, to stimulate rural cultural development and professional practices in rural artists, to engage in community development through art-based projects, to achieve diversity in all programming and to pay nationally recognized fees and professional rates to all artists. Oxygen Art Centre is particularly interested in work with regional relevance, cross-discipline work and work that engages audiences in participatory processes.
The Oxygen Art Centre Residency and Exhibition program is both by invitation and submissions from professional artists. Proposals are accepted on an ongoing basis and are usually reviewed on an biennial basis. (Next review deadline is April 30, 2018.) Residencies and exhibitions are typically planned two to three years in advance. Please submit all of the following documents as specified in the Submission Guidelines.
– Indicate if you are applying for an Exhibition or a Residency or both.
– Curriculum vitae (maximum three pages)
– Artist’s Statement describing the proposed exhibition or program of work intended for the residency (maximum one page)
– Artist Bio (maximum 1 paragraph)
– 10 to 15 images a maximum of 1 MB file size each (jpeg format with a resolution of 72 dpi at 1024 x 768 pixels ) of the work intended for exhibition or related/recent work for a residency proposal.
– Images must be labeled with a number / title
– Image list with image numbers, artist name, title of work and date, medium and dimensions.
– For new media or performance projects submit direct links or DVD related to your proposal in .avi, .mov, .mpg, .mpeg format. Do not send video files electronically.
– Group exhibition proposals include the cv, bio and artist’s statement for each participating artist.
Due to the biennial nature of the review process applicants can expect to receive a reply within two years of submission.
Oxygen Art Centre is committed to paying CARFAC fees for exhibitions and artist talks. Pending funding, funds are available for transportation of artwork and artists to and from Nelson. Visiting artists will be billeted with local artists in the community. All accepted proposals are contingent on funding.
To review previous exhibition and residency programming visit here.
floor plan: oxyfloorplan