Gallery Assistant — Canada Summer Jobs Employment Opportunity
Oxygen Art Centre is an artist-run centre engaging communities throughout Nelson and the West Kootenays, and wider audiences regionally and nationally. Oxygen Art Centre provides space and programming for artists and the public to engage with the creation, study, exhibition, and performance of contemporary art in all disciplines.
Oxygen Art Centre’s activities include: Exhibition & Residency Program, Adult Arts Education, Children and Youth Arts Education, and a Presentation Series which consists of literary, film, music, and theatre events. Oxygen is unique in its structure and provides vital arts and cultural programming. We are currently looking for a Summer Gallery Assistant to add to our dynamic team.
Nature and Scope of Position:
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Gallery Assistant engages the public in discussions about Oxygen Art Centre’s exhibitions and programs, assists in exhibition and residency coordination, and assists educational art instructors during summer art camps.
General Responsibilities and Functions:
- Host visitors to Oxygen Art Centre’s exhibitions and programs;
- Initiate discussions about and lead tours of the exhibition or residency on view;
- Provide information and accept registrations for Oxygen Art Centre’s educational and public programs;
- Take registrations for summer camps and update corresponding class lists and databases;
- Promote membership programs to visitors;
- Maintain attendance records;
- Open and close the gallery space on time;
- Provide assistance to the Education, Communications, and Curatorial programs as required.
The ideal candidate:
- Is enrolled in a post-secondary program in Art History, Art Education, Visual and/or Media Arts, Museum Studies or a related discipline;
- Demonstrates a keen interest in contemporary art and/or museum practices;
- Is comfortable interacting with members of the public;
- Is responsible, hard-working, enthusiastic, and dynamic;
- Has a proven ability to communicate effectively.
The Summer Gallery Assistant position is dependent on funding from Canada Summer Jobs program. Candidates for the position must:
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Be a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (unfortunately, non-Canadian students holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- Be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- Intend to return to full-time studies in the fall of 2020.
Application deadline: 15 May 2020, by 5:00 PM
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: “ATTN: Summer Gallery Assistant Application”
Oxygen Art Centre is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.